MMD now offer our customers the opportunity to carbon balance their print by taking part in the Carbon Capture® Scheme.
Most companies; through industrial processes like production, manufacture, and distribution; are responsible for the emission of carbon dioxide (CO2) into the atmosphere. CO2 emissions become trapped beneath the ozone layer, heating up the Earth’s atmosphere and leading to climate change.
One of the most effective ways to combat this is by planting trees. Trees not only absorb CO2, but they also release oxygen into the atmosphere, which improves overall air quality and cools down the atmosphere.
How does the Carbon Capture® Scheme work?
When you order from MMD, we make sure to capture the carbon emitted by the production, manufacture, and distribution of your print.
The amount of CO2 generated during this process is calculated, and the figures are passed onto the Woodland Trust along with the Carbon Capture® surcharge, which pays for the plantation of new, native UK woodland by the Woodland Trust.
The UK only features 13% tree cover, compared to a 44% average in Europe. Increasing tree cover as part of the Carbon Capture® scheme, supported by the Woodland Trust, helps to:
- Increase the percentage of oxygen released into the atmosphere, fighting the effects of pollution and improving the quality of air. This is becoming ever more important in larger cities like London, where air quality is markedly lower than across the rest of the UK.
- Provide much-needed shelter for animals and people. In hot, bustling cities, shade offered by trees can cool the air by up to 7°C on hot days. It can also reduce harmful UV radiation by the equivalent of a factor 10 suncream.
- Improve our quality of life by reducing stress and improving our mental wellbeing. Spending time in nature (whether planting trees, or simply enjoying those that are already there) has been linked to reductions in heart disease, diabetes, and dementia.
- Offer open, green, recreational space for public use.
- Provide natural flooding defences, if planted in the right water catchments.
- Decrease the number of endangered native UK species; which rely on native trees such as oaks, birches, yews, and willows for food and shelter
How does this benefit you?
Because all of our products are produced and distributed in a completely carbon neutral manner, you can display the Carbon Balanced logo on all your print.
Plus, you can rest assured that all of the paper we use is either FSC or PEFC accredited and sourced from managed, sustainable woodland.
We also offer:
- Digital submission and proofing of your artwork to cut down on trips to our facility and the waste that occurs as a result of mistakes
- Eco-conscious printing presses that run in an energy-efficient fashion
- Regular audits of our CO2 emissions, energy consumption, and internal sustainability practices